G1X MII or RX100II?

Started Feb 13, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
phazelag
phazelag OP Veteran Member • Posts: 3,037
Re: More pixels doesn't mean better IQ

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

Big misconception...More pixels doesn't mean better IQ.

I am very familiar with Mega Pixels I have bought several cameras with less mega pixels for performance.  I bought the Olympus XZ-1 with only 10MP on a larger compact sensor and the FZ200 with only 12 versus the 16 of similar cameras.

But when camera has a larger sensor and a good lens asking for 14-16 in a sensor this size is not unreasonable.  But I am getting more and more comfy with 13.1 or 12.8  its fine.  But having a little more crop zoom is nice occasionally when the conditions, your lens, or timing didn't allow a perfect set up.

Everyone has done some cropping to frame something after the fact unless they have no one they are accountable to, don't wear a watch, and can stop time.  If this sensor matched the pixel density of the 70D that has their most modern sensor, it could easily accommodate 16MP effective.  16MP on a sensor that size would be fine.

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Fujifilm XQ2 Olympus E-M1 +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mk7
Mk7
Mk7
(unknown member)
Mk7
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Mk7
Mk7
Mk7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow