PIX 2015

On recent cameras: EM-1, XT-1, A6000 ...

Started Feb 12, 2014 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Regular MemberPosts: 405Gear list
Re: My take
In reply to Jorginho, Feb 15, 2014

Jorginho wrote:

My last sentences indicated that..It is personal.

Sure. But my point was: the subjective thing is not only the relative importance you give to all the points, but in some cases even the single point.

However: when you compare lens for lens, it is pretty obvious the m43 system is considerably smaller. When you pick lenses, the differences may not be so big or become relatively huge.

Lens by lens... not necessarily. For instance: my reference set of lenses was 1645g with the Nikon system (D5100); it is 1016g with the Sony (NEX-6). It would be 1572g with the MFT (E-M1): just slightly lighter than Nikon and much heavier than Sony.

This can be explained by different features: for instance, Sony offers a 16-70 f/4, while the comparable Zuiko is f/2.8-4; my normal is a f/2.8, while the MFT one would be f/1.4; so that extra weight is for some reason (extra aperture). But, for instance, the Sony 10-18 f/4 is 225g, while a very comparable (just a bit wider in the range) Lumix 7-14 f/4 is 300g, and if I'm not wrong the Zuiko 7-14mm f/4 is a whopping 780g. It's 60% heavier than my Nikon equivalent (which has even more range). Honestly, this was a surprise. The MFT was the first system I've evaluated, and discarded precisely for weight.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II +8 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow