ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 3,077Gear list
Like?
Pls. advice: Received used lens in rough condition
8 months ago

Part 1:

Recently made a thread on tamron 35-105 f/2.8, some one suggested the minolta 35-105 for its sharpness and I had come across some good reviews too. I wasn't particularly interested but I came across one on ebay and decided to bid a maximum of £25 (~$40) just as a bargain thing. Funnily enough I got it exactly for £25 lol. This lens was described as "very good" condition and "comes with all original packaging".

Part 2:

Received the lens and the front glass was really dusty (none on the inside as far as I can tell) and there was splash marks or water marks etc on the front glass. The only original packaging I got was the lens box! So I decided to return it and the seller offered a partial refund of nearly 50%. So I decided to keep the lens as I got 50% refund and since it would have cost me around £6 (~$9) just to properly pack it (unlike the seller) and post it back.

I used my rocket blower and lens cloth which got rid of a lot the mess. But there are still those "splash" marks which are being stubborn. I think the seller probably took it to a beach or something and never cleaned it. Anyways, I would like to clean it but I never had to properly clean a lens like this. Do I need to buy something special?

Test pics below (both before cleaning, looks fine tbh but I am a clean freak so I want the glass clean lol)

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow