sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,446Gear list
Like?
Re: sony 24-70 FE it's not perfect
In reply to ianbrown, 8 months ago

Hi Ian,

I don't think the refrain that primes are always sharper than zooms is always true.  Two notable examples :  the Nikon 14-24/2.8 is sharper than Nikon's own primes within its zoom range and Fuji's 18-55/2.8-4 out-resolves their own 18mm prime. They are a minority of course, but they're there.

I'm strongly considering an A7r but am waiting for a readily available and convincing 21-24mm prime that is small light and sharp from corner to corner.   I would prefer a small prime, but waited for the Zeiss zoom lens in the hope that that it would be a native wide angle that goes as wide as 24mm and that it would offer superlative performance.   As it is, most reviewers of the FE24-70 say that it's very good indeed between 28-60, but that's not quite what I'm after.

Personally I think that these small FF cameras hit the sweet spot for travel and landscape photography and that Sony should have a offered a wider than 35mm prime lens at launch or at least very early in the road map.

If one doesn't emerge fairly soon, or it isn't stellar on the finicky sensor, then the Fuji X system with its excellent 14/2.8 might be the solution, but ATM high res FF still appeals.......

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow