Need help!!! What is causing this change in exposure?

Started Feb 14, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Senior Member • Posts: 4,183
Need help!!! What is causing this change in exposure?

I posted this in the MFT forum but in hopes of getting an answer i wanted to ask here. I asked in video as well.

New GX7, im playing with exposure values in video and i noticed something. When shooting in A or S mode, i have the ability to adjust exposure comp by up to 3 stops. If i shoot at the maximum ISO of 25k, i can still choose a +3 to exposure comp. This should change either SS or aperture, depending on what mode i am in, but if i am already at the maximum ISO of 25k, and if im already wide open at F1.7 on my lens, what else is there? It can't be adjusting my SS because i have the "no flicker" setting locking my SS to 1/60. However, when i compare videos with and without this +3 exposure comp, there is a clear difference. What is causing this?

Below is an example. Both videos were taken moments apart with no change in ambient lighting. These are screenshots of the two. I had one set to -+0EV and the other to +3EV (it was actually set to +5 but after starting recording the camera changes it to +3 which is shown in the display). Without the ability to alter SS, aperture, or ISO, how is the camera generating this extra brightness?

View: original size

View: original size

No PP has been done on either, no sharpening or NR. No exposure adjustment. Incidently, when i do increase the exposure of the darker frame by abaout 3 stops, they look very even. This suggests that the brighter video is indeed receiving 3 stops of gain but from where? Any clues?

-- hide signature --

hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

--
"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow