quezra wrote:

Euell wrote:

quezra wrote:

Euell wrote:

quezra wrote:

Euell wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Euell wrote:

How could Sony put better AF in its APSc line (A6000) than in its recently created full frame line? What were they thinking? Owners of the A7 and A7r must be really disappointed that their cameras were not endowed with this better technology, since they bought them just in the last few months.

As if that's the only spec that ever mattered in a camera...

The specs are all a moving target, I'm afraid, but I think Sony screwed the good-will pooch in letting out its full-frame cameras and a very few months later letting out an APSC camera with a superior major spec. To be frank, I was considering picking up an A7 or A7R before the A6000 came out. Now, I can see that these are not the "sweet spot" models. Gonna wait, but in the meantime pick up the A6000 to complement the NEX 6 and Canon equipment.

Is this your first time buying cameras?

Own several; purchased many. Why do you ask silly questions?

Because it sure sounds like it's the first time you've noticed new tech coming out a few months later that's better that claims to be better than old tech!

You don't get it. My point is not that Sony provided AF technology for an APSc camera that was kept out of a prior full frame camera, but rather that, because of the extremely short interval between introduction of the A7/A7r cameras and the A6000, that AF technology was almost certainly available prior to the production run of the A7/A7r. In other words, Sony has once again, I think, based its marketing strategy on deliberate contrived planned obsolescence designed to part you from your hard earned lucre as quickly as possible. Can you deny this with any evidence to the contrary? I very much doubt it.

And you don't get that a sensor about twice the size with larger glass and thinner DoF probably does not have the same AF capabilities given the same processor. I'd love it if it were merely firmware fixable, and do you honestly think Sony wouldn't put it in a firmware update and seal up this MILC space for good? If planned obsolescence is the goal, then we should see a new model within 1 year. But look at NEX-7, A77 ... they aren't even replacing those 2+ years later, even when they could at any time have slipped one or two new cool toys into it and called it a day (which is what Canon does: add one incremental improvement and call it the 'new' model). Even NEX-6 took 1.5 years for a replacement. Look at RX1R ... how come it didn't get A7 AF tech? It's even the same sensor! It is you who has no evidence of this alleged "planned obsolescence".

Look, you don't have an A7. You lost nothing. Why all the faux concern for us who are perfectly happy with our A7s?

The A7 and A7r are both FINE CAMERAS. Absolutely, no doubt. If you want to defend Sony's business practices, fine. I don't.Nor do I have a "faux concern" for purchasers of the A7/A7r purchasers. Really the concern is that without public awareness Sony is likely to continue and even expand what I consider to be sleazy business practices that will affect all of us.

Obviously, the AF on the A6000 cannot be engrafted upon the A7/A7r with a firmware fix, because it is sensor-related. Could Sony have included the improved AF in the A7/A7r? I believe so and I believe Sony intentionally withheld that technology to provide a reason for a quick update of the A7/A7r. It is unlikely the update would come in 2014, but my guess is an update will likely come in 2015 ad maybe early 2015. But, regardless, these cameras are competent tools and will take good pics. Peronally, I am leaning towards Canon with respect to full frame due mainly to my Canon lens inventory. The NEX is used for international travel for non-wildlife photography to keep down volume and enhance portability on planes and so far I have been mostly pleased with the photographic results. With respect to APSc vs. full frame, I print on paper sizes 13x19, 17x22 and 17x25. I have some pretty good cropped 17x22 prints that were taken with the 10 megapixel Canon 40D, so have not really been in a hurry to move to full frame, although I do miss the low light advantage.

Development cycles and R&D aren't so neatly packaged. For instance, why doesn't Canon or Nikon put articulated, touch screens on their high end DSLRs?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
55mmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow