Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
dmaclau
Senior MemberPosts: 1,490Gear list
Like?
Re: interesting question
In reply to Maurizio De Cecco, 9 months ago

Good points.  Digital sensors have gotten better and better and will continue to do so.  The accepted digital equivalent to grain is noise.  Like grain, by itself noise is neutral...neither adding to or subtracting from artistic intent.  In color film the choices were negative film, which never could be processed consistently or slide film which had a crazy overexposure fall off.  Digital gives us a quick review of our images but has an even crazier falloff to overexposure.  That's the warning in my mind to ETTR.  The concept of ETTR isn't to take care with exposure and adjust appropriately, rather it's to Always overexpose and somehow things will be better.  Rubbish!

Over time digital sensors and processors got better and better and better.  Even assuming that noise is the enemy of good photography (it isn't) we can see that today's cameras give remarkably clean results at unheard of ISO's.  This makes ETTR even less of a good idea.

Finally, most cameras today have an "ETTR Trial button."  Also known as bracketing.  Bracket your shots, have a look, process each carefully, have another look.  I've done this repeatedly.  Lo and behold I've found exactly zero instances where I thought ETTR was a good idea. Nor have I had any examples from others that changed my mind.

dmaclau's gear list:dmaclau's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-M1 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow