Interesting read by Thom Hogan

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
stoppingdown
Regular MemberPosts: 305Gear list
Like?
Re: I think Thom makes valid points....
In reply to tesilab, 7 months ago

tesilab wrote:

I'm glad your lenses are still working, and I hope they continue to do so. But how long is it fair to expect them to continue to work with all the electronic complexity involved?

A lens just needs to auto-focus and move aperture blades; eventually doing stabilisation. Nikon and Canon do since quite a few time, and there's no visible reason for which they should change. Indeed, I do think they will stay the same for quite a long time. It is also quite possible to enhance the interface between the lens and the camera by staying backward compatible, as Nikon and Canon (specially the former) did.

Focusing by wire is definitely nice, but not a needed feature. I think that mirrorless makers were right in introducing it, since they took the chance of implementing it in brand new systems. Then I expect that the new mirrorless mounts stabilise.

Some of us are shooting with 50 year old lenses with no problem. "Disposable commodities" doesn't sound right, because they are so expensive, but we have to face facts. Lenses won't have the life expectancy they used too, unless they are superbly made all mechanical designs.

Well, so far manufacturers were able to. I don't see why Sony, Olympus, Panasonic and Fuji shouldn't be able to, unless they're doing planned obsolescence, which would make me very angry.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

stoppingdown's gear list:stoppingdown's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D5100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED-IF +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow