a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Amamba
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?
I'll believe this when I see real life results with real life lenses.
In reply to Donny out of Element here, 5 months ago

As far as I am concerned, the current Nex-6 AF speed is pretty adequate in good light, even if tracking running subjects with a slow focusing lens like SEL50.

However, in dim light it starts getting problems focusing on the people going towards the camera, and in really poor light it struggles to achieve focus and starts hunting even on static subjects.

My old Canon T3i DSLR (not the fastest focusing in Canon lineup) with Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS HSM lens could quickly focus on running kids in practically complete darkness at a glowing stick b'day party (of course the resulting ISO6400 file was very noisy and the shutter speed couldn't be high enough to freeze motion).

If A6000 can match this, let alone beat it, I would be very impressed.

If the focusing improvement is largely limited to decent light shooting, I won't be impressed as much.

There's also the question of lenses. At this point, Sony has few lenses I can think of that are good for low light shooting and have fast focusing motor. SEL50 is miserably slow and I don't think there's a camera that can fix that. All these f4 lenses are a bit too slow (aperture wise) for low light shooting, even if you bump up ISO. The 18-55, 16-50 and 55-250 kits are even slower. So this leaves SEL35f1.8, the two Sigma primes (not superfast but fast enough) and that's about it.

If Sony delivers the reliable and fast low light focusing and combines it with lenses that can utilize it, this would be the great system to buy into.. a couple years down the road.

Amamba's gear list:Amamba's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow