Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
RGiskard
Regular MemberPosts: 278Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40
In reply to Ido S, 10 months ago

I have the E-M1 and 12-40 and it is an amazing combination.

For me, I wanted a prime in the same focal length range for two reasons: 1) more light gathering and 2) smaller size.  The 12-40 is a wonderful beast, but it is relatively large and heavy compared to most other m4/3 lenses.

I picked up a few primes to try.  I have found the Pany 14mm 2.5 is nice and small, but too slow to be a useful alternative to the 12-40 and I don't love the 14mm FL for my "one" lens.

The Pany 20mm 1.7 has been a great surprise.  It isn't the fastest to focus and is a little noisy (not great for video), but the images I have been getting are absolutely lovely.  it also extends about the same distance as the E-M1's grip, so it is very small and unobtrusive.

The Pany 25mm 1.4 is on the way but I haven't tried it yet.  I am optimistic that it will be a great fit on the E-M1 and deliver wonderful images.

The Oly 17mm 1.8 I returned after playing with it for a couple hours.  It is awfully expensive for what it is, though I admit that the focus clutch is nice and the lens was certainly well built.  I found the IQ to be fine, but not for the price, which was just about double what I paid for my (admittedly used) Pany 20mm.

Oly 75mm 1.8.  I love - LOVE - this lens.  However, I haven't been able to use it as much as I like given its relatively long range and the fact that the weather has us all cooped up.  A bit expensive for many users, but it handles like a dream on the E-M1 and really maximizes the camera's potential.  If you want something that really offers what the 12-40 does not, this is a nice stretch goal.

Anyway, just my random thoughts.  Your mileage may vary.  Good luck with the choice!  The nice thing is that if you buy used, you are not likely to lose much money if you decide to resell any of these options.

RGiskard's gear list:RGiskard's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow