DX/FX sharpness: is there a real difference? (and other DX-FX questions)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,093
Like?
Re: DX/FX sharpness: is there a real difference? (and other DX-FX questions)
In reply to ishtar74, 6 months ago

ishtar74 wrote:

Hi all!

I've been itching to go to FX after reading many enthusiastic reviews of the D610, but I'm having a hard time justifying it...! I might just have GAS again, even though I just bought a SB-910 but HEY - it's my birthday! I read about the differences FX can make on IQ - better bokeh, low noise, better DR... I also came accross the DXO site and comparing the 24-120 (which I have my eye on, should I make the move), I see it scores so much better on a FX than a DX! I must admit, I'm a bit of a pixel-peeper and I like my pictures very sharp. Is sharpness that much better on FX? How are these tests done, really?

I'm currently using a D7000. I'm not especially into wildlife or sports, I shoot just about everything, mostly family/friends meetings, kids, travel photography, and some macro. My D7000 does the job, I don't feel limited in anything but I would like a more precise and fast AF (been struggling with AF fine tune on many of my lenses, but the body might not be the one to blame here). What should I expect by moving to FX, really? Would AF improve? I know the AF zone on the D610 is a bit limited and that scares me, to be honest. But if the AF is more precise than the D7000, that would still be a plus!

And finally, with the low prices on the D600 - is it crazy to consider it? Is the dust/oil issue so annoying, considering I rarely shoot low apertures? Could more recent units be better?

Thanks in advance!

Michele

FF has a good potential to be sharper due to the lower optical magnification required to achieve the same print/image vs APS-C. But with FF lenses it's generally harder to achieve sharp edges/corners vs DX, or at least the sharpness delta between the center and edges will be higher on a relative basis. If AF consistency is your primary motivation then I would look into a D7100 - I found its AF system to be much more precise than the D7000's.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow