Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
tesilab
Senior MemberPosts: 1,990Gear list
Like?
Re: I think Thom makes valid points....
In reply to stoppingdown, 8 months ago

stoppingdown wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

A point Thom could learn is that lenses are becoming disposable commodities too. The trend really started with the arrival of AF systems and accelerated over last few years with drive by wire designs from all manufacturers. Another key to disposability is increased ease of replacing systems.

I totally disagree. I've been building my Nikon lens collection since 1999/2000, that's almost 15 years, and they are all AF and still working. I don't like to waste money and if I'm going to spend several hundreds euros for a lens, it's going to stay for a very long time.

I'm glad your lenses are still working, and I hope they continue to do so. But how long is it fair to expect them to continue to work with all the electronic complexity involved? Some of us are shooting with 50 year old lenses with no problem.  "Disposable commodities" doesn't sound right, because they are so expensive, but we have to face facts. Lenses won't have the life expectancy they used too, unless they are superbly made all mechanical designs.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Carl Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow