Why is FE 70-200 bigger and heavier than Canon's

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,348Gear list
Like?
Re: Pro Features Included
In reply to hellocrowley, 5 months ago

Well if anything this thread has shown me why Sony loves releasing monster zooms before compact primes, because apparently that's what many people want. I'll sit it out for a few years and see where FE goes.

OTOH, people are going gags over Sony not releasing faster zooms. You think 72mm filter is too big? Try 77mm on upcoming Fuji 16-55/2.8 that people think Sony should build.

And you jave no idea how "monstrous" the 70-200/4 is. It is actually smaller and lighter than my personal compact choice for telephoto lens on NEX: Minolta 200/2.8 G APO HS. With 70-200/4, you lose a stop, the adapter and gain zoom.

I would be speaking like you, if this were a 70-200/2.8 which are much larger and nearly 2x heavier.

As for primes, I think the sizes are kept in check. The issue is mostly of perception since E-mount bodies are significantly slimmer so relatively speaking the lenses appear larger.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow