Interesting read by Thom Hogan

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Gato Amarillo
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,489
Like?
Re: Interesting read by Thom Hogan
In reply to Geedorama, 8 months ago

Perhaps "How far can we trust the camera companies?" would have been a more meaningful, if less provocative, question. Long term we all know photography is changing and the equipment we are buying will probably have a much shorter useful life than what we expected in the past. I don't expect anyone to predict where cameras will be 5 years from now, much less 10. But I sure would like an idea what Sony and the rest are planning for the next 2 or 3 years -- say the next 2 product cycles.

As some others have hinted, I no longer see a camera system as a long-term commitment. About 3 years seems as far ahead as we can see, and I can live with that. But right now with Sony I can't even see 3 months.

I'm not saying Sony is that much worse than the rest. I don't expect the future to be guaranteed -- I'm old enough to know better -- but before I put down another $2,000 or so to round out a system I'd sure like to have a good idea of the next couple of years. Right now I'm very tempted to hedge my bets with an RX10 -- which if it worked out might move me out of the system market for the rest of my life.

The camera business will be a very interesting spectator sport the next few years, but it's a bitch of a time to be making buying decisions.

Gato

-- hide signature --

"We paint with our brain, not with our hands" -- Michelangelo
Portrait, figure and fantasy photography at Silver Mirage Gallery:
silvermirage.com

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YepNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow