Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
robbinsbox
Regular MemberPosts: 173Gear list
Like?
some advice pls
8 months ago

same old story, I'm shopping for a camera and want a little feedback from users of the 16, 20, 30, 45 and 85mm:) first thought is I would do 16, 45mm for walkabout and 85mm for long portrait.

I mostly shoot portrait (hence the short and long) but like to have a wide. Not bothered about fast aperture for the wider but do v much for the 45 and 85mm. Center sharpness important for the 45 and 85 but not edges, Be nice if the wide was sharp across the frame though. Read all the reviews obviously. 85mm is the main draw for me. It is rather huge

For owners of the nx bodies, maybe you could share some thoughts on the following. I have no issues with the crop factor or dof.

In practical terms i shoot 90% of the time in aperture priority, I like manual iso, need quick access to wb and exp comp, afl and ael (seperate). I focus and recompose rather than set an af point. I use viewfinder for most shots ( G3 and NEX6 viewfinder good enough I found) but variangle screens really useful

Needless to say I want to spend as little as possible, no problem with older bodies as long as the af is accurate. Sometimes I shoot manual focus but not often, nice to have the option though.

Just run me through some of the negatives and positives of the nx11, 20 and 30 (think I am aware of the positives though) bearing in mind as a basis for comparison a much loved panasonic G3 (but grip far too small, not so good in bright or low light) with its small, light lens, and the rather wonderful and comfortable nex6 which, alas omitted a fast portrait lens.

NX20 grip looks too small for my hands but could be ok, the nx30 looks sony comfortable, maybe more so with the forward shutter button. Nx 11 I worry about grip and af but price could sway me.

I appreciate those who suggest just sticking with what I have got and get on with shooting, I am resigned to getting a top notch portrait lens and although i am aware it is a common cliche, I love subject isolation without getting macro close. I waited for an e mount portrait lens for a long time, while the m43 nocticron looks great but v expensive (£1400). The Samsung lens line up looks cool, perhaps just missing a fast prime between the 45 and the 85, (tho I see there is a 60mm macro)

Of course I am looking at the fujis too. It too is missing something  for longer portraits but the 56mm 1.2 is interesting enough to warrant a good look. Also looking at the smaller dslrs, they are not much heavier and have the advantage of nice lens selection at the expense of a bit more bulk but no wysiwyg.

It seems to me a good time to be look for a new body now that the lens systems are nearly complete. Many thanks for any opinions

robbinsbox's gear list:robbinsbox's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +1 more
Samsung NX11 Samsung NX30 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow