G1X MII or RX100II?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: G1X MII or RX100II?
In reply to meland, 10 months ago

meland wrote:

I think we got a similar sensor to one that was first introduced 2 years ago, but very likely with manufacturing improvements that will increase image quality (DR, noise, etc.). Even if those improvements are marginal, what Canon did not hold back on was a killer (I mean really groundbreaking) new lens. As long as it produces the same type of detail, color, etc. as the G1 X lens the new G1 X II lens will be enough to justify the price of the camera all by itself. The greatly improved macro ability will also shut up the naysayers, or at least a great many of them.

I do hope you are right, that is your comment that it will shut up the naysayers.  But I fear that there will still be too many who simply don't understand the point of the product, or rather don't want to see the point even if it's not for them, and they will continue to snipe away at it until something else comes along they they don't understand either, or they just get bored.

At the very least we won't have to endure reviews where some dude picks up the camera, tries to focus on something a foot away, and when it doesn't work he goes "what a worthless camera....this sucks."  Now it will behave much more normally in close-up situations and have a much closer min focus distance when put in macro mode.  And perhaps the AF will be fast enough that we won't have to keep reminding people that, with the proper technique, you can actually greatly improve the AF speed of the G1 X.  Like a DSLR, a lot of things can be improved on the G1 X with good technique.  When people pick up a P&S/compact camera they don't expect to have to use good technique:  if sloppy technique in full auto mode doesn't work then they are disappointed instantly.

Prepare to be stunned by all the ways Canon decidedly did not hold back.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow