Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
meland
Senior MemberPosts: 3,904
Like?
Re: RX100-3 will be better. June.
In reply to technic, 9 months ago

technic wrote:

Jennyhappy2 wrote:

June ... Expecting a new lens for the RX. Yay !

Given the G1X II, Sony is now forced to make more significant improvements than what they did on the I to II. Keep in mind this is always the case with ever new camera. Personally I prefer the size of the G1X II, the sensor size, the lower MPs, and the lens range over the RX100.

If Sony improves the RX100II lens by giving it sharper corners and 24-100 (or 120) mm equiv. zoom range in a slightly bigger package, I would definitely prefer the RX100-3. An optically less compromised lens will be bigger, but so be it. Somewhere between RX100 and RX10 there could be an attractive compromise.

"If Sony improves the RX100II lens ................"  Now there's the thing.  One of the reasons why the Sony's lens is not that good is because of its small size it's already on the borders of what can be manufactured with reasonable optical quality.  So then make it bigger some of you might say.  But then the whole camera has to increase in size because the bigger lens has to retract into somewhere within the body and suddenly the whole thing doesn't become quite so appealing.  So if Sony want to retain the RX100's form factor (and that arguably is part of its appeal) then there are no guarantees that Sony could improve the lens, even if they wanted to. So don't hold your breath on that one.

For me the RX100 1" sensor is good enough for a 'walkaround camera', for extreme low light etc. there are other cameras. Canon has some advantages in jpeg output quality, ergonomics, special features like flash sync etc. but for me those are not a major factors.

Yes, competition is good

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow