Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
AndyW17
Regular MemberPosts: 399Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40
In reply to Jim Salvas, 6 months ago

Jim Salvas wrote:

Unless you can get a significant discount by buying the second lens with the body, why not wait and get some experience shooting with the 12-40? the 12-40 does an amazing job in most indoor situations and you may be pleasantly surprised at the quality up to 3200 ISO. You need a pretty dark room or fast activity to switch to faster lenses.

Meanwhile, you might find you want more reach instead of more speed. The 40-150 is a great complement to the 12-40, while being very cheap and very sharp.

My advice is to take it slow and let your own experience be your guide.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Thanks Jim.  Definitely taking it slow.  I feel like I know more about this camera that I do NOT own, than the ones I DO own at this point.  So it's getting to be time to move to reality.

Maybe I can borrow a couple of these lenses now that I think about it. So the 12-40 might be the best starting point, as you say.

One thing I remain a little confused about on this camera is given the IBIS adding multiple stops of usable hand-held, I guess that really doesn't translate to making the camera a better machine for shooting people.  You still need to get them to stand still, and/or shoot at a shutter speed that freezes them sufficiently.  So the faster glass would help over the IBIS - different issues.  But it's encouraging about the ISO 3200.

-- hide signature --

Andy

AndyW17's gear list:AndyW17's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony RX100 II Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM II +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow