Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,876Gear list
Like?
Re: Two Things Count: Analog SNR and How Much Analog Signal Reaches The ADC
In reply to wchutt, 5 months ago

wchutt wrote:

Thanks for your, as usual, excellent descriptions.

There are the three basic steps to maximize exposure.

First, select the aperture to obtain the depth-of-field required for the photograph you envision.

Next, select a shutter speed that freezes either camera and, or subject motion as needed. Electronic stabilization or a tripod provide more shutter speed flexibility.

Finally, fine tune either aperture or shutter speed to retain only the interesting or important highlights in all three channels. This means some highlights may intentionally be overexposed. If every highlight must be recorded the shadow S/N will suffer.

This is what I am getting at.

My question is: when aperture and shutter speed are selected appropriately for intended DoF and motion freeze, but the resulting image at base ISO would end up darker than intended, is it necessary with the X-Trans APS-C sensors to adjust the ISO upwards, or would it be sufficient to keep base ISO (in order to maximize DR) and adjust brightness afterwards in post-processing? How do these sensors behave at base-ISO and low light levels when it comes to noise? In other words, how isoless are these sensors?

I guess I'll have to get me a copy of RawDigger and look into it.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow