Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
pede59
Contributing MemberPosts: 834
Like?
Re: Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40
In reply to AndyW17, 8 months ago

AndyW17 wrote:

I will probably make the move to the E-M1 soon, and intend to get the 12-40. But I'm also thinking I may want a fast prime for low light. The question is - which?

My shooting is not "portraits". I would rather have the ability to shoot indoor in-home social situations without flash, or have the option to do tourist photography (churches and such, night scenes) with a relatively fast lens. So I was thinking either the 12mm, 17mm 1.8 or a 25mm fast prime. Would the 17 be a waste of money given it overlaps the zoom? Or is the extra stop worth having for the purpose I've described? I would assume a 12mm might be too wide for general purpose use (not to mention $$). The 45 seems too long for use inside a house, having played around with it.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Andy

For indoor shooting i would think the shorter focal lenghts (12 or 17mm) would be better. The 25mm supposedly is a very good lens and it is faster but not sure whether that is the ideal focal length for indoor shooting.

When i ordered my EM-1 i ordered the 12-40, the 17/1.8 and the 60mm macro. My thought was that i may not always want to use the zoom because of its size even though i knew that quality wise it is at least as good as the 17/1.8. (Comment: in practical use the weight of the 12-40 did not bother me. I carried it on city trips all day long and it really did not feel like too much)

I actually use the 17/1.8 for that reason once in a while. It just gives you a very small, fast and high quality package. Because you mentioned that you want to use it indoors mainly the extra stop will certainly help as well.

Overall i believe a fast prime can be a useful addition to your set even if it overlaps with the range of a high quality zoom. But you should determine what is the most useful focal length for you. There is of course also the option of just working with the zoom for a while and then figure what additional need you may have.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow