Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
Pixnat2
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,217Gear list
Like?
Re: Thinking about what to get - prime to complement 12-40
In reply to AndyW17, 8 months ago

AndyW17 wrote:

I will probably make the move to the E-M1 soon, and intend to get the 12-40. But I'm also thinking I may want a fast prime for low light. The question is - which?

My shooting is not "portraits". I would rather have the ability to shoot indoor in-home social situations without flash, or have the option to do tourist photography (churches and such, night scenes) with a relatively fast lens. So I was thinking either the 12mm, 17mm 1.8 or a 25mm fast prime. Would the 17 be a waste of money given it overlaps the zoom? Or is the extra stop worth having for the purpose I've described? I would assume a 12mm might be too wide for general purpose use (not to mention $$). The 45 seems too long for use inside a house, having played around with it.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Andy

Hi Andy,

Congratulations about your E-M1 and 12-40, it's an awesome combo!

There's many fast primes for general purpose in m4/3, you have the choice! It will depend on your shooting style.

My favorite is the 17mm f/1.8. It's a super snappy, instant AF little prime which is built like the 12-40 and have the same manual focus clutch mecanism as the 12-40. Downside : it's a bit less sharp than the 12-40, but you must pixel peep hard to see it.

The Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is another option. It's cheaper, sharper in the center, but it has some banding problems at high ISO with Olympus bodies, plus the AF mecanism is noisy and slower. I sold it to get the 17mm.

The Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 is a premium choice in 50mm Eqivalent. Many people are admirative about this lens, it's widely considered as one of the best m4/3 prime lens, and it's the fastest. AF is a little slow and some report that it rattles a bit, but most seems very satisfied with this lens.

The new Olympus 25mm f/1.8 is going to ship soon. Early reports are very positive about this lens. Robin Wong has made a review on his website : http://robinwong.blogspot.ch/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-review-part-1.html. He will soon compare it with the Panasonic 25mm f/1.4.

My experience is that the 17mm f/1.8 is really worth it in complement to the 12-40 to shoot in-home social situations. Its let you keep ISO lower than the 12-40 and is fully sharp wide open.

Hope that helps, and happy shooting with your E-M1!

-- hide signature --
 Pixnat2's gear list:Pixnat2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Canon EOS M Nikon D600 Olympus E-M1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow