Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,633Gear list
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to edwardaneal, 8 months ago

lenshoarder wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

2: my second concern relates to my first - will all of the added PDAF pixels spread across the sensor that give fast focus my lenses can't use have an affect on image quality? will resolution or dynamic range or color depth be hurt?

Short answer no. Look at it like this, the PDF pixels are less than 200 out of 24,000,000. That's 0.0000000083%. So that's at most 0.0000000083% worst. I challenge anyone to be able to discern the difference. You could have more of a problem with dead pixels. You would have more of a problem with dust.

but they all add up - on top of the pdaf pixels you will still have dead pixels and you will still have dust - each thing you take away from actually forming an image just multiplies the problems and if those pdaf pixels don't actually add anything because they won't work with my lenses why add them? or better yet why remove image forming pixels and replace them with AF pixels that don't actually AF with my lenses?

Well you made the choice to settle for slower AF and in favor of lenses you wanted. This has no bearing on what the a6000 itself is as a camera and improvements it can boast over its predecessor(s). You might see some benefit, or it would be ststus quo (in terms of speed). As for your concerns with IQ, remember, a6000 has a whopping 179 points but that translates to a very tiny fraction in the overall picture that includes 24 million pixels. Put it another way and consider that Canon 70d has half the sensor for PDAF. Is the IQ terrible?

It is always worth considering the pros and cons, not just the cons. There may be more to the sensor that it improves upon while adding PDAF. May be not, but that is exactly why we can't draw conclusions yet.

I also like that a6000 got Zebra and Eye AF handed down fron a7, two features I tried and liked on a7. It also has object tracking abilities (again courtesy of the hybrid PDAF) which may abe yet another benefit you'd have at hand if you so choose as many will.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow