The more you know (about great photography) the less pictures you take?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
NexOffender
Regular MemberPosts: 328Gear list
Like?
Re: The more you know (about great photography) the less pictures you take?
In reply to Lumixdude, 7 months ago

Lumixdude wrote:

Well, living in Australia there's not much else to do once you get out of the city than shoot landscapes. I go to the one street in my town that looks semi-developed sometimes and shoot shoot street photography.

This is such a pessimistic way of looking at things, you can find photo opportunities anywhere. I live in Sydney and I have access to plenty of iconic photo locations, but I've never shot any of them. I spend most of my time in a small patch of weeds in my backyard taking macro photos of bugs. I don't agree that you need a great location to take a great photo, most of my best photos could have been taken anywhere, and I bring my own light.

Sometimes, the type of photography you do is simply dictated by the scenery that's around you. I wish there was cool statues and old things around here, but it's the laws of history when your country is 200 years old, there's simply not much of that around.

Who cares about history? That stuff has already been recorded. Photography is about documenting what's happening now. In Australia we have people, animals, trees, cars, and buildings just like anywhere else. There's plenty of things to take a picture of.

Maybe your problem is that you are trying to do photography just for the sake of photography. A lot of people get into photography because of their passion for something else. Jocks get into sport photography, nerds do lunar photography, jockeys do horse photography, and bogans do car race photography. What else are you interested in?

NexOffender's gear list:NexOffender's gear list
Pentax Efina
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
NopeNew
WhyNew
(unknown member)
OkayNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow