Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
nixda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,906Gear list
Like?
Re: Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 10 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

ETTR is an exposure solution to the problem of lack of shadow recovery in Canon sensors. Its not needed on Sony based sensors which have fantastic shadow recovery ability without a noise penalty.

Canon sensors typically are good with highlights but poor with shadows hence ETTR so the shadows are brought up and you use the highlight headroom to do so.

In my experience the X trans is more prone to blow the highlights a little but have great shadow recovery so I think it would be a poor strategy on an X camera.

Strictly speaking, ETTR is not about "shadow recovery". It's only hallmark is that the important highlights are exposed just below the saturation level of the sensor.

For scenes with low dynamic range, ETTR usually results in images that are too bright compared to the scene brightness. A side benefit is that shadow regions will get a boost in signal-to-noise.

For scenes with high dynamic range, ETTR usually results in images that are too dark compared to the scene brightness. In this case, the shadow regions will suffer, but - as you say - one might be able to adjust them afterwards with good results. I am not so enthusiastic about this, though. I have many landscape scenes that have quite noisy shadow regions, so much so that printing at large sizes isn't really an option, despite the brighter regions having no visible noise at all.

nixda's gear list:nixda's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow