Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
amipal
Regular MemberPosts: 287Gear list
Like?
Lumix GH2 user - upgrade to GH3 or GX7?
6 months ago

I've been an ardent GH user for many years now, starting with the GH1 in 2008. I upgraded to a GH2 at the end of 2012 and have been very happy with it. There's nothing inherently wrong with it - it does pretty much everything I want from a camera, but I do tend to play around with raising shadows in Lightroom and notice there's quite a bit of noise when I do that.

I'm off to Japan and Hong Kong for three weeks at the end of March, and naturally want to take the best with me that I can, so it's an ideal opportunity to upgrade.

I very much want something with a similar form factor to my current GH2, but with better image quality and dynamic range. I've considered an OMD EM5, but I'm not fond of the Olympus menus and hate the squishy buttons. So I've got my eye on the following:

• GH3 - right shape, great ergonomics, good sensor, rotatable screen, weather-sealed
  • GX7 - 1/8000 shutter, silent shutter, good sensor, smaller than GH3, sensor-based IS

How well does the GX7 work with an off-centre EVF? Is the GH3 really that much larger than the GH2? I use my camera for all sorts of subjects, from street to airshows, so mount a variety of focal-length lenses from the 20mm pancake to the 100-300mm telephoto.

Thanks for any help with this. I'm really finding it difficult to choose.

Cheers,
Paul

-- hide signature --
 amipal's gear list:amipal's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow