Another "Where are the DX lenses?" by T.H.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ceaiu
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
Another "Where are the DX lenses?" by T.H.
6 months ago

Full article here http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/can-you-trust-the-camera.html

In other words, will we have a Nikon "mirrorless" system that uses the F-mount? I've been betting on "yes" for five years now. To bet otherwise would be to bet that Nikon doesn't understand how they made the last two pivots intact. Yet…

Here's my problem. If Nikon really were going to keep the lens mount intact, where are the DX lenses? It seems clear to me that we're going to continue to have crop sensor and full frame sensor cameras for quite some time. The economics just dictate it. While FX sensor prices continue to drift downwards, we're not going to see a US$500 FX body any time soon. Not even a US$1000 one (at list price; we may see some fire sales that start to approach this if anyone gets desperate to unload inventory, but those would be cameras sold at a loss).

Nikon is sending mixed signals, which is the most worrisome thing about the company to me at the moment. CX, DX, and FX is really ambitious to start with. But the way DX is being handled is as if no one at Nikon understands the apps (lenses) users want and need. Or, alternative explanation: they're going to change the mount for DX. Before everyone panics and starts posting "Thom says the DX mount will go away in the future" let me say this: I don't expect that at all. My bet is that they don't. But I've gotten progressively more worried about where Nikon sees DX as we get further and further into it. Remember, we're 15 years in now, so seeing so little happening in DX other than some modest iterations is a little disconcerting considering that DX isn't "all there."

Well my bet is the opposite: Nikon will make another mount for a mirrorless DX, and keep the F-mount for FX.

How do you read the signals?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow