Nikon 18-300 mm on D600

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
romfordbluenose
Contributing MemberPosts: 688Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 18-300 mm on D600
In reply to Condor60, 6 months ago

Condor60 wrote:

Is it my lens or me. The arrow or the Indian. I have an 18-300 mm lens that takes great pics at certain photo lengths. From 18 to about 220 the photos are crisp, clear and I am very pleased with them. But from 220 - 300 not so much. I even tried a tripod and made sure my shutter speed was way up. Still cloudy and not crisp photos. Any thoughts.

Most of the non-pro telephoto lens get softer as you get to the higher telephoto lengths. It is fairly typical for any x-300 to get softer from 220 upwards. Shooting at f8 should alleviate this but you'll never get pixel peeping sharpness.

High shutter speeds make no difference on a tripod unless the subject is moving, what you need is an aperture of f8 or smaller.

Sorry but this is typical for this type of lens, there is probably nothing wrong with it.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow