On recent cameras: EM-1, XT-1, A6000 ...

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,254Gear list
Like?
Re: You are comparing bodies only.....
In reply to kcamacho11, 10 months ago

kcamacho11 wrote:

captura wrote:

Where are the fast F1.2 or F1.4 primes?

NOT REALLY NECESSARY WITH SUCH A FAST 24MP SENSOR. And largr 32 mp and 50 mp sensors already out there, from Sony. Going into Canikons, etc. F1.2/1.4 lenses would be TOO large. Lots of manual lenses available in those sizes.

There were a couple of articles posted lately about how lenses faster than f1.8 aren't going to have the full effect of the wider aperture on APS-C sized sensors.  The manufacturers are apparently going so far as to fake the ISO to make it look like it's all working OK, but when the noise is tested, it's not as good as it should be.  (DxOMark has one of the articles on the subject.)

Given that, one has to realize that there are diminishing returns on having wider apertures, particularly on M43.

Not necessary? I guess you are the type of users that Sony is trying to attract.
I am not a pro, but I can't even imagine the professionals out there who would ever say "fast F2.8 zooms are not necessary".

It's only necessary for professional sports photographers because they are trying to maximize the quality. That includes using a FF DSLR.  Most of us don't need that level of quality, and got a mirrorless camera for compactness.

An APS-C with an f4 lens is comparable to M43 with an f2.8 lens, so it's not such a horrible limitation.

It does not matter if the camera is 16, 24, 50, or 100MP......having 24MP is not going to help you get better low light shots with slower lenses.

A Zeiss 16-70 F4 for $999 which has gotten mixed reviews? That's nice....when there is a marvelous Fuji 18-55 F2.8-F4 for $695.

And how much of the range stays at f2.8?  It's not exactly a f2.8 zoom.

It's cheaper than that; besides, it works very well with the 24 mp NEX-7 so it should work well with the A6000.

It is not cheaper than $999. If you find any RETAIL stores in the U.S. selling the 16-70 F4 for less, please post it here.

Again, it is just an F4 lens, nothing faster. No pro-grade fast F2.8 zooms.

Who wants to pay for "pro grade" f2.8 zooms?  Who wants to lug them around on their compact camera?  If you want a big heavy lens, you might as well have a big, heavy camera to go with it.  Sony sells A-mount cameras and lenses that can handle that.

I have a Tamron 17-50/2.8 lens.  It's huge and heavy, particularly on a Nex.  Not overly expensive, although moreso than a lot of other zooms I could have gotten.  And then the corners and edges are soft at f2.8.  This could be fine for portraits, but with all of the obsession about needing perfection even into the extreme corners, people would be disappointed; so, you'd need even a larger and more expensive lens to get that additional quality wide open.  Who wants this for their compact camera?

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow