Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Stephenhampshire
Contributing MemberPosts: 856Gear list
Like?
Re: The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to fakuryu, 10 months ago

fakuryu wrote:

I also heard that there is an incoming D7200? Could be worth the wait?

The K3 needs no introduction, it is a special kind of animal, it was what the D400 or the 7DII could have been. If you are not deeply invested in Nikon lenses, the K3 is currently the best APSC DSLR made today.

Now if you are not really into high FPS shooting, not really into sports and don't need AF-C, the K5II and the K5IIs are very special cameras. Fast and accurate AF-S with the highly regraded 16mp Sony CMOS sensor and the price is very accessible right now.

An there is also the rumored K60, a stripped down K3

As for lenses, Pentax has a complete lineup of APSC lenses and a possible FF 70-200 in the roadmap. The prime lenses are highly regarded and up there with Leica and Zeiss IMHO, there is also after market support from Sigma, some from Tamron and AFAIK all of Samyang's excellent lenses is also available in K mount (I think except for the 28mm tilt-shift lens?).

So if you are not heavily invested in Nikon, Pentax is an excellent option.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

I must admit I am surprised by the small size of the buffers in most other cameras compared to the k5/k3 family. I am not one to want/need reallyhigh FPS, but I do do a lot of shooting in bursts, and 24/25 RAW frames is very handy to have - I often shoot maybe 3 or 4 1 second bursts of shots (I shoot a lot of trains - see http://www.flickr.com/photos/arleimages/11471802426/in/photostream  and for the perfect shot with a good exhaust and "rods down" you often need to shoot groups of half a dozen frames)

The worst downside of shooting Pentax for me is the lac of third party support for things such as flash triggers, I get round this by not bothering with P-TTL flash too much (although I have a Metz 48 for HSS and fill-in) but using old fashioned "auto thyristor" flashes and optical triggers. Apart from that I haven't felt an urgent need to switch to Nikon, I have as many lenses as I want, I certainly don't feel particularly constrained in choices of glass (though I don't shoot a lot of wildlife, 300mm is my longest focal length

-- hide signature --
 Stephenhampshire's gear list:Stephenhampshire's gear list
Samsung TL350 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow