Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 1,824
Like?
Re: Speculation on the A6000 vs the NEX-7
In reply to edwardaneal, 5 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

1prime wrote:

I realize the upcoming A6000 will be a NEX-6 extension, but with the BIONZ processer and a newer but similar to NEX-7 size 24.3MP sensor.

I wonder if any reviewers who have checked out the A6000 would have comparisons of the 7 & 60000. I'm sure the 6000 will have a 6-like composite body. Will the 6000 come close to or surpass the 7? And, if so, in which ways?

-- hide signature --

1prime

As a NEX-7 shooter I consider the A6000 to be a very similar camera. I have two things that concern me about the A6000.

First: When you happy with your Nex 7 why switch? You paid a lot of money for that beautiful camera, it is still working, so again why switch?

1: I dont shoot sony lenses, I like my Sigma 30 and 60, fact is the 60 is the sharpest E-mount lens tested on the NEX-7. Unfortunately, from what I understand these non-sony lenses most likely can't take advantage of the on sensor PDAF - as such I would loose one of the major improvements.

I don't know if the lenses will do fast AF (probably not) but we have to wait and see. But fast AF is not the only bennefit of the A6000 compared to the Nex 7.

2: my second concern relates to my first - will all of the added PDAF pixels spread across the sensor that give fast focus my lenses can't use have an affect on image quality? will resolution or dynamic range or color depth be hurt?

Well in theory yes it will hurt the IQ. But as less then 200 pixels are "stolen" from the 24 MP we can safely say that the differences will be minimal, you probably need $10000,-- of metering devices to see the difference.

only time will answer these questions, but at this time I am happy to stick with what I have - Heck even today Sony is still asking a higher price for an NEX-7 - - - perhaps they know something we don't yet know

They are asking a higher price for that camera as it is a better camera. The price will probably drop when the A6000 is in the shops...

Hera are some extra things that might be important to you:

The A6000 has these features that the Nex 7 has not:
WIFI and NFC
APPs (to add new features to your camera)
USB control from your PC
11 F/ps burst mode with full resolution
ISO range up to 25600 (compared to 16000 for the Nex 7)
Zebra pattern
Clean HDMI out
BIONZ X processor with some extras, like difraction correction and inteligent noise reduction

If this is enough for changing to the new camera is hard to tell. For me (when I had the Nex 7 and no Sony lenses) I would not change for it, but it is up to you !

I don't think it is wise, when you pay that much for a camera to go for the newer version everytime one comes out. I would stay and enjoy the camera a lto longer, and so save money!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow