Very happy with my 50mm Zeiss investment...

Started 7 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JeremyTP
Regular MemberPosts: 103Gear list
Like?
Very happy with my 50mm Zeiss investment...
7 months ago

I picked up this lens as an upgrade from the Sony 50mm 1.4 lens about six months ago. I upgraded because I was frustrated by the obvious off-centre softness that I was getting from the older Sony when shooting 1.4 at a gig I was hired for.

I thought long and hard on which lens to get, tried the Sigma 50mm 1.4 HSM on my camera and tried this Zeiss. The difference was clear and I was immediately impressed with the Zeiss. I had read the reviews I could find online, but nothing really prepared me for how solid and responsive and the lens would be on my camera.

Since picking up the Zeiss, I've done a LOT of low-light shooting at 1.4 with very sharp results. (see tagged examples here http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeremy_tudor_price/) Unless I have a specific need for another lens, this lens generally stays on my a99. The focus is near silent and very fast and reliable in use. I already owned the 24-70 ZA, 135 1.8 ZA and 85 1.4 ZA when I got this lens, so had high image quality expectations based on those lenses. Well, other than the hood being plastic (which I actually appreciate due to weight savings for day to day carrying around) this lens meets and exceeds the Zeiss ZA standards. I really appreciate the SSM, and the fact that it's weather sealed. Bokeh is really really nice. I often use this for portraits of my 3 year old son and am getting really special shots. I know my 85 1.4 might be a better focal length for portraits, but it doesn't focus fast enough to catch a 3 year old! So this lens is my go-to now.

If I was buying a 50mm lens again today, I MIGHT wait and see what the Sigma 50m 1.4 ART cost will be, but I strongly suspect I'd still go with this Zeiss. It's just a stunning lens and produces rock solid professional results. I got over 15% in discounts on it at my local Sony Store, which also helped me justify the investment... and give a solid 5 stars in this review.

JeremyTP's gear list:JeremyTP's gear list
Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony SLT-A99 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +5 more
JeremyTP's score
Average community score
Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow