Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,352Gear list
Like?
Sigma Quattro could be (very likely be) an excellent monochrome camera
10 months ago

Taking out the discussion of the color aspect of the sensor aside, what I find really exciting is that the new Foveon sensor since the top layer according to several data points that have chimed in, is mostly measuring Luminance, this means the camera could make for a truly superb monochrome camera.

Doing B&W color filter simulations would knock down the acuity a bit as it relies on the lower chroma resolution data to do so, but as a neutral monochrome camera, it should be virtually almost the same as a monochrome camera of full on 19.6 MP spatial points of resolution with no gaps in luminance types like a CFA sensor (Bayer or Xtrans).

If Sigma managed to improve the noise much at that resolution, this could be the best monochrome camera under quite a range of price range. I am quite excited about this prospect because the detail and now with 14-bit RAW - the tonality should be quite high. Crossing fingers the usable ISO in B&W improved quite a bit, but even then in a reasonable range of ISOs it will most likely be phenomenal/spectacular.

I wouldn't mind having to shoot color in "low raw" to get a higher quality color capture at higher ISO while using full on B&W for the high resolution shots.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow