Zee Char
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,184
Like?
Re: Sans light meter
In reply to Sailor Blue, 2 months ago

Sailor Blue wrote:

Zee Char wrote:

Raider70 wrote:

LShooter: (and to all who commented on my post) THANKS so much for the suggestion. Now if I can only figure out my camera's sync speed (Nikon D300).

1/250

Not all hot-shoe flash or studio strobes will work properly at the sync speed for cameras. I recommend you set your sync speed to 1/3 or 2/3 stops slower than the sync speed for safety.

My Canon 7D has a sync speed of 1/250sec. but when my Di866 Pro is at full power it will only sync properly at 1/160 sec. It's fine at 1/200sec. for 1/2 power and 1/250sec. for lower power levels. I simply use 1/160sec. for all my flash and strobe shots and never have a problem.

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Bangkok, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Yep. If you are using a proprietary flash you should be OK. I'd shoot 1/250 with my 7D or 1/200 with my 5D3 at sync speed with a Canon flash with no second thoughts. 3rd party can be iffy. Also off camera 3rd party trigger systems can be an issue as well. Never hurts to be aware and shoots one stop or two below sync speed if you're not sure. Gotta investigate the gear and combinations.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow