Show your 300mm pics(while we wait for 2015)

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 380Gear list
Like?
Re: Show your 300mm pics(while we wait for 2015)
In reply to bencr, 8 months ago

bencr wrote:

local novice wrote:

These along with all the other posts are exceptionally fine. What lens did you use? Were these handheld? What % are keepers with the kit used for these pics?

These were all taken with the 100-300mm hand-held using IBIS on the EM-5. My keeper rate is pretty low. I have a hard time getting shots 100% sharp. The depth of field is typically very narrow since I rarely have enough light to shoot above f5.6. I also tend to cheat on the shutter speed, relying on the IBIS, to keep the ISO down as much as I can. Sometimes focus isn't quite bang on the eye, sometimes there is hand shake, sometimes the bird is moving too quickly etc. I also have a large number of shots that just aren't 100% sharp and I don't quite know why. I also have a particular talent at catching a bird when it is blinking - particularly hummingbirds. When I can I stop down to f6.3 - f8 and my keeper rate goes up a lot, but I rarely have that much light. If the bird is hanging out at a particular spot for a few minutes I will usually have a couple of shots that I'm happy with technically. If they are moving through I might not get anything.

That has been my experience too (I feel your pain).  If the little buggers would just stay still...What do you think about the proposed oly 300? Are you interested?

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow