Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
MJSfoto1956
Regular MemberPosts: 233Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 10 months ago

ZenImage wrote: I came across the K-3, and am VERY impressed with, well, just about everything! Both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, so I guess my question is whether or not any of you out there have had an opportunity to shoot with both the K-3 or even the K-5IIs AND the d7100 or d7000 that can share with me their thoughts on both systems.

I am a long-term Nikon shooter who currently has a fairly robust D800 system. I was looking for a 2nd body specifically for "long reach" and shot extensively with a D7000 and D7100 as well as Olympus OM-D E-M5 but I found that none of them did anything for me. Recently I rented a Pentax K-3 from LensRentals together with the DA* 60-250mm and I simply fell in love. It is the camera system that Nikon should have released years ago. But now that I own it, even if they *DID* release the long-awaited D400 I would not switch back. The reason is that nobody offers anything like the lightweight, constant aperture, fast focusing 60-250mm (90-375mm f/4 equivalent).

As I explore the system I'm trying out its promising Astrotracer functionality -- I have high hopes for this but even if I can't get it to do what I want, I'm totally happy now that I have a D800 + wide lenses and a K-3 plus long lens system.

Given that so many of my "peripherals" already work between the two systems (e.g. tripods, arca-compatible plates and panorama accessories, RAW processing software, digital asset management, SDHC cards, umbrellas, etc.) adding another camera body to my existing system is a no-brainer. I have even "force fitted" a Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 onto the K-3 body and I get in-body vibration reduction and auto-exposure!! (fyi: the Nikkor 1800mm f/2.8 is damn sharp on the K-3!!). There is even an engineer in southeast asia who is working on a universal adapter for Pentax to accept Pentax or Nikon or Contax lenses without modification. If this guy delivers, I will be the first in line to make such a purchase.

As for lenses, I think the key thing about Pentax is that "smaller is better" (as well as water resistant) seems to be their mantra. And I eventually look forward to collecting a small collection of lightweight limited primes which seems to deliver excellent IQ in an extremely lightweight system. Might be a good place to start.

One last thing: I find that Pentax controls not that much different than Nikon controls. As such, switching between bodies is not as onerous as I had first thought. I now have both cameras set up as closely as possible and they now work together as "brothers".

Best of luck in your decision making!

J Michael Sullivan

MJSfoto1956's gear list:MJSfoto1956's gear list
Pentax K-3
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow