a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
stevo23
Senior MemberPosts: 4,707Gear list
Like?
Re: Faster for 3 seconds?
In reply to GaryW, 10 months ago

GaryW wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

Donny out of Element here wrote:

Well, 11fps with live tracking AF is something. It's faster than OMD E-M1 and mind you it's an APS-C sensor with 24.3 Mp! Fastest AF (in the world?) 0.06s CIPA.

For 3 seconds? How long of a burst do you maintain 11fps? And how many times can you do that in a minute? How many RAW images can you rip out per second?

I honestly see no point in any further mirror usage in cameras from now on.

I guess you should have added the caveat of, for the vast, vast majority of people, including most photographers.

Very few folks need autofocus in the first place. Now that we have it, most don't even know how to get the best out of it. Most of us will never need more than 5fps.

Because the mirrored D4s can shoot 10fps for 20 full seconds and crank out 200 full resolution RAW files with full tracking autofocus/metering/auto ISO etc. for each shot. And right away, it can turn around and do it all over again. All day long. Processor/buffer is just as important.

How often does one need to do this? Is this for "spray and pray" photography? I doubt most pro photographers' cameras do this today. Of course, if you need this, or some other feature, you should buy the camera that does it, but let's keep it in perspective.

That's my point exactly. For people who need the speed - really NEED it - they don't NEED the A6000. It's autofocus speed isn't the headline that matters. It's just there for the folks who will be impressed with it and buy one based on that.

I can understand a 1 second buffer (in my Nex-6) is a bit short, but after 2 or even 5 seconds, I can't imagine what I'm still shooting. The action is over with. Anything longer, and maybe I should have used video. At least then I have 60fps for as long as I want.

Again - all the claims are for "victory over the mirrored DSLR". Not so fast, be real. For folks who need that kind of speed, the need it for longer periods of time. And they need every shot metered, white balanced, iso'd and they need Raw+jpg - all ready to go to the service bureau.

Not to dampen the enthusiasm, but you get what you pay for.

And you do pay for it! In money not just for the camera but for lenses, because you wouldn't just plop a kit lens on a $5000 camera. And not just in money, but for the bulk. It's not exactly a good travel setup.

I'm just sayin', keep it all in perspective.

I think most of us are?

Hopefully. But when I see statements like "we don't need the mirror anymore" and "death of the DSLR is here", I have to laugh.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow