How can A6000 beat PDAF, doenst make sense?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
tomtom50
Senior MemberPosts: 2,694Gear list
Like?
Re: How can A6000 beat PDAF, doenst make sense?
In reply to EinsteinsGhost, 8 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

correct me if i am wrong but in lower light (the NEX big AF weakness) phase detection is disabled and it has to rely on constrast detection .. if so if sony have made few imporvements in contrast detection then the NEX low light AF will still be uber crap compared to canikon dslr/oly CSC etc

At this point, you can't be correct or corrected since we don't have much to work with on the new system but only a handful of brief write ups and couple of videos (Vogel and DanK) that do show the possibilities in not so great light conditions.

I am pretty sure lower light performance was a consideration and should be better. The improvemebt is likely in how PDAF pixels work and how much closer they get to focusing for minimal CDAF fine tuning or if there is any need for that at all (after all, traditional PDAF has no fine tuning using CDAF).

Exactly. We do not know. The Nikon 1 system switches from PDAF to CDAF as light drops.

The Canon 70D system is full PDAF and works in low light

Earlier Sony systems were Hybrid AF (PDAF + CDAF) and the Sony press release uses that term as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/12/sony-a6000-promises-worlds-fastest-af-and-11-fps-subject-tracking?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_12#press

tomtom50's gear list:tomtom50's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS M Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony a6000
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow