E-M10 Initial Impressions (No shock like E-P5!)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grendak
Junior MemberPosts: 30Gear list
Like?
E-M10 Initial Impressions (No shock like E-P5!)
5 months ago

Just received my E-M10 yesterday.  Initially a bit concerned/confused because there was no protective film on the lcd.  So I checked the hidden info, and there were 206 shutter actuations, 13 flash fires, and 77 power on's (ultrasonic wave cleaner).  So the lack of protective film and higher than usual shutter count left me a bit confused.  Not to mention, even if it was fired a bunch for testing at the factory, why was it turned on 77 times?  There are also 6 or 7 hot pixels, which yes, I can map out, but seemed a bit higher than usual.  I had pre-ordered from an online store, and received what I am assuming to be one of the first batch, so I'm guessing it couldn't have been a return… but I'm not entirely sure if it was opened/used, or if Olympus just has weird quality control.  I'd be curious from others who ordered an E-M10 whether they have a film, etc...

Anyway, on to the more important things… I had horrible luck with two E-P5's and shutter shock/vertical blur issues (primarily in the telephoto range of 75-300mm) up to as high as 1/320 s.  I had tried ever single setting imaginable on the E-P5 and couldn't get clear shots.  I've been waiting for Olympus to release something that could be an upgrade to my E-PL5 but still deliver the same consistently sharp shots while still being small (the E-M1 is just too big for my liking).  I finally found it!!  I tested the E-M10 by taking 3 shots (handheld) at each shutter speed from 1/160-1/320s at 300mm with short release lag, normal release lag, normal release & 1/8 anti-shock, and each of those combos with Panasonic OIS on/IBIS off (I have the 100-300) vs Oly IBIS on/OIS off.  Not a single shot was nearly as bad as the best I could get with any combo of the E-P5, but it actually seemed the sharpest across the board was simply with a regular release time and NO anti-shock.  Default settings with no shock!!  On both my E-PL5 and E-M10 I get much better results with the Panasonic OIS than I do with the Oly IBIS for this lens though.  With the Oly 75mm 1.8 it was a toss-up between short release time and regular release time (tested 1/100-1/160s).  Obviously shock is a very complicated issue, so who knows whether it's the 3axis vs 5axis (could 3 have been a purposeful fix rather than a downgrade?), or something dealing with size/weight distribution, but I am very pleased with my initial testing of the E-M10.  I also love the fact that it shares the E-PL5 battery (though yes, I know that is a negative for E-M5/M1 owners).

grendak's gear list:grendak's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow