How can A6000 beat PDAF, doenst make sense?

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,977Gear list
Like?
Re: PDAF like the A7.....
In reply to stoppingdown, 10 months ago

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

Actually, PDAF does help NEX-6 although its effectiveness is more limited (and a first generation attempt). The a6000 design may be all new and more effective.

As far as I know, PDAF on NEX-6 is only used to start the AF process, as PDAF tells the camera whether the lens should be focused farther or closer (contrast detection can't tell), thus avoiding some hunting. The NEX-6 completes the auto-focusing with contrast-detection. The A6000 might use PDAF more... in any case, I think we need to know more about this, and see some independent hands-on review.

-- hide signature --

Fabrizio Giudici
http://stoppingdown.net

There are a couple of videos (one by Vogel and another by DanK) that show the a6000 at work and it looks impressive (not everything is shot under bright light conditions either) so it looks very promising. Of course, I would love to see more of such videos including other lenses (the FE 70-200G will be a superb candidate for it as one of its purposes is action photography).

As for the hybrid AF system, that is indeed the typical routine: PDAF to move the lens quickly near focus in one direction, and fine tuning with CDAF.

Speed will of course depend on read out rate, algorithm, the motor's capacity relative to the elements it must move and so on. Another key component to speeding up performance is to build more compact ciruitry (in fact, one of the goals that led to IC development). Yet another may be ability to have several pixels work together (this may be one of the more noticeable improvements and should also emhance performance in low light).

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow