6D wireless flash control

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions thread
JKad
Regular MemberPosts: 131
Like?
Re: 90EX as master on a 5D
In reply to nalax, 10 months ago

nalax wrote:

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2012/eos6d_builtin_flash_alternative.shtml

There are more options further down the road.

Man, am I glad I read this thread.  I don't have a 6D but do have a 5D. I've been looking at alternatives for firing remote flashes and making on camera settings for flash groups.  I couldn't confirm that the 90EX would work as a master on the 5D to make flash settings on camera and trigger my 580 EX II and 420 EX flashes.  So, I called Canon technical support.  The person I talked to didn't know the answer for certain, so he set up my specific flashes with the 90EX on a 5D and was able to get all of the menus on camera to make flash settings including groups and ratios.  And the 90EX fired the remote flashes.  He also confirmed settings for flash exposure compensation and the ability to set high speed sync.

The 90EX is a much cheaper alternative (especially white box) to the ST-E2 or the limited other flashes that can serve as master, it uses AAA batteries (including rechargeable) vs. the ST-E2's 2CR5's, it is much smaller than other on camera flashes that can serve as master and gives me a small footprint fill light option when I don't want to carry the larger flashes.  However, the 90EX has limited range as a master trigger and all of the other limitations of an optical trigger.  Nevertheless, this little flash is a fit for my purposes and I'll be ordering shortly!

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow