Like?
Re: G1X MII or RX100II?
In reply to tkbslc, 8 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

technic wrote:

howardroark wrote:

Catalin Stavaru wrote:

phazelag wrote:

I have been moving toward smaller cameras for a while now and I really do like the concept of the G1X M2, but the fact that its only 12.8 mega pixels in my opinion really lowers its potential.

I know the megapixel police will be cursing me, but I think 14-16 would have been excellent. I have my Ricoh GR at 16 and it is nice to be able to crop to zoom. This where I think many buyers looking for high quality in their pocket will be more likely to choose the Sony RX100 or RX100II. Yes I am guessing the G1X will have nicer high ISO photos, but really how much better and how often will that be necessary compared to wanting the details in the 20MP Sony.

Plus the Sony truly does fit in your pocket. I think Canon has done something nice, but they have limited the potential buyers by holding back newer sensor pixel ratios. If this used the 70D sensor technology it could be 15MP and that would be more to work with.

I will wait to see the photos and reviews, but I do feel like canon held back on us.

-- hide signature --

The 12.8 megapixels does not lower its potential at all, but instead keeps the pixels big and the APS-C image quality from the smaller than APS-C sensor.

The problem with the G1X II is the size. It's just too big. And the size does not come from the lens only, they just made the body unnecessarily big (maybe indeed to balance out the lens).

You think they made the body larger than it needed to be to balance out the lens? I'm going to bet on a categorical no to that idea. The body has a large sensor, pretty stunningly fast electronics on-board, contains the AF mechanism which must be considerable if reports of AF speed are correct, and it also has a pretty large battery inside. The camera isn't too big, you are too unimpressed with what you get for that size....which is a shame.

Difficult to judge if it could be smaller with these specs. But I'm surprised (comparing with some other cameras) there wasn't even room for an EVF ... I guess that's not so much because there wasn't any space left, but more likely because it allows Canon to extract some extra money from the customers ;-(

Other cameras you are comparing to don't have an F2 zoom designed for a 1.9x crop sensor!

Look how big Samsung's F2 zoom is:

The Samsung is f2.8 at the long end and covers an 1.5 times crop apsc sensor. Which is larger as the 1.6 crop canon or 1.94 crop of the mk2.

Look at the XF 18-55mm f2.8-4 and difference already shrinks a lot. And that's also a larger sensor. All in all canon really out did themselves with the lens. The sensor is dissapointing. Since I was hoping for an cut to size dual pixel af sensor. That would have had more Mp and class leading autofocus.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow