Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
fakuryu
Senior MemberPosts: 1,112Gear list
Like?
The sensible thing is the D7100
In reply to ZenImage, 9 months ago

ZenImage wrote:

Hello all!

I am upgrading from a d5200, I loved my camera, but as I'm growing as a photographer, I want something that is going to allow for more wiggle room. For a short time, I was looking into the 5300. But I'm not particularly interested in some of it's features...I'm not bashing, by any means, but I feel as though to me, some of it's features were a little gimmicky. I'm more interested in features that make practical sense, and will provide me with pro-like features for now as well as down the road. Having, at the time, only been exposed to Nikon, the logical step was the d7100. But I have no blind loyalty to any particular brand, and have started searching outside of the Canikon empire. I came across the K-3, and am VERY impressed with, well, just about everything! Both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses, so I guess my question is whether or not any of you out there have had an opportunity to shoot with both the K-3 or even the K-5IIs AND the d7100 or d7000 that can share with me their thoughts on both systems. I am COMPLETELY new to Pentax, and so have no basis for comparison. Any advice or feedback is appreciated. Thank you all!:-D

IMHO yes it is, nice AF, nice choices of lenses (if you already have them), extensive after market support. Everything about the D7100 is nice except if you are into burst mode a lot which will be a let down and the build quality is not really as nice even compared to the old K7.

I also heard that there is an incoming D7200? Could be worth the wait?

The K3 needs no introduction, it is a special kind of animal, it was what the D400 or the 7DII could have been. If you are not deeply invested in Nikon lenses, the K3 is currently the best APSC DSLR made today.

Now if you are not really into high FPS shooting, not really into sports and don't need AF-C, the K5II and the K5IIs are very special cameras. Fast and accurate AF-S with the highly regraded 16mp Sony CMOS sensor and the price is very accessible right now.

An there is also the rumored K60, a stripped down K3

As for lenses, Pentax has a complete lineup of APSC lenses and a possible FF 70-200 in the roadmap. The prime lenses are highly regarded and up there with Leica and Zeiss IMHO, there is also after market support from Sigma, some from Tamron and AFAIK all of Samyang's excellent lenses is also available in K mount (I think except for the 28mm tilt-shift lens?).

So if you are not heavily invested in Nikon, Pentax is an excellent option.

-- hide signature --

There is no such thing a "Pro" level gear, just Pro level work.

fakuryu's gear list:fakuryu's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Pentax K-r Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow