a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,226Gear list
Like?
Re: a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.
In reply to nevercat, 9 months ago

nevercat wrote:

kcamacho11 wrote:

Gee, that's nice. While Olympus, Fuji and others have pro-grade, fast lenses that are weather-sealed.

It is more than the camera itself. Sony is disappointing many by not providing pro-grade fast prime/mid-zoom lenses. Instead just keeps releasing cameras left and right.....and there is no future roadmap of any high-quality lenses for E-mount that people can look forward to getting.

There was a Nex roadmap for years.  If people didn't like what they were seeing, they shouldn't have bought into the system.

Instead, they just come out with a midzoom __-__mm lens, put an "F4" on it and call it a day.
Same thing they are doing with the FE lenses.

Minolta used to create quality f4 zooms.  One of the more famous is the "Beercan", still sought after for its bokeh (and reasonable price on the used market).  For many uses, an f4 lens is quite sufficient, particularly if it's actually good at f4.  I have an f2.8 zoom, but it's kinda soft at f2.8.  I also bought a legacy 135mm f2.8 -- guess what?  It's horrible at f2.8.  Both of these lenses are great at f4, but if you could give me an f4 lens that was great at f4, but also smaller and cheaper, I think that'd be a smarter way to go. (Of course there are good f2.8 lenses at f2.8, but they are probably more expensive as well....)

I guess they are trying to attract the users that care more about the smaller size, instead of the professional build and optics.

If you don't care about size, why not just get a DSLR/DSLT?  There are already huge, established lines of lenses.  Even with Sony, you have a lot of legacy Minolta lenses available (which also tend to be good bang-for-the-buck value).

Or, just get the Ea2/Ea4 adapter and use one of the A-mount lenses.  It's not so tragic.  There's a lot there, but if none of it is to your liking, I would avoid it.

Well isn't that the target group Sony said they were aiming the E-mount cameras at?

When Sony comes with good quality lenses (look at the 24mm, 35mm,50mm, 55mm f1.8 lenses) People complain that these lenses are to expensive and/or to big. When Sony comes with a small 20mm and 16-50mm pancake, people are complaining that the lenses are not the super hig grade lenses they wanted.

I recall the early days of Nex (not so long ago!) where people were complaining, "Where were the pancake zooms?" "Where are the wide angle...?" "Where's the normal?" Etc. Each individual is going to want something different. If you tried to figure out what one lens the average user wanted, it'd be quite strange.

When Sony will come with a xx-yyy 2.8 zoom lens people willstart complaining again over the size and the price (what is the meaning of a small body when the lenses are big?)

Whatever it is, switch to the opposite -- move those goalposts!

Sony started the E-mount for the P&S people who wanted a better camera, but didn't want the large DSLR. So it makes sense that they start with good (not great) lenses that are not to big. For the FF E-mount cameras they came with smaller (35 f2.8) and larger (55mm f1.8, 70-200 f4) lenses and you know what? Complain, complain, complain. Not form the users of the camera and lenses, but from people who are not using the camera. They just want to have a reason for not buying the camera. Well I have one for you: The price! I whish I had the money to buy the A7r and the beautifull lenses and the A6000 and some great lenses, but I have not

Right, a lot of the complaining seems to be from non-users, but I think there are some that are users that want something that Sony isn't going to provide. Sony is making great bang-for-the-buck camera systems. Look at the prices on some of the competitors and sure, argue about how much better they are, weather sealing and all, and I think it's a waste of money. You choose your priorities and spend your money how you want.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow