Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
konanon
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
Re: Pentax vs. Nikon....are there any Pentax shooters that have used a d7000 or d7100?
In reply to ZenImage, 7 months ago

I was in the same boat as you. What I did was simple, I went to my local camera store(s) to handle the camera. Take it for a test drive, play around with it, scroll through the menus, try different lenses, etc. Bring a card with you so you can pixel peak to your heart's content.

When I first held the K-3, it fit perfectly in my hand. Triggering the shutter was very satisfying. I tried different cameras but I kept coming back to the K-3. Technically, I knew this camera was up there with anything available in the APS-C segment. You'll be hard pressed to find anything that is significantly better between the K-3 and its competition (IQ wise that is). Some will call me on this but that's the nature of posting to a public forum.

You are embarking in a very subjective journey. Reading reviews and reading people's opinions is valuable but in the end, you have to be happy with your purchase. Don't get brand Y because everyone else uses brand Y.

So, go to the store. Play around with the camera. Ask questions. Take a look at Ricoh's website (again, some will call me on this one. It's Pentax, right?). Get familiar with the lenses available, accessories, etc. Get familiar with the specs. That's important too.

I just recently picked-up the 20-40 limited. It's a great lens. Some will say it's not sharp. Mine is. Some find it too "slow". I'd prefer a constant f/2.8 but that's the compromise I'm making. Some don't like the zoom range. I wasn't sold at first but it's growing on me. Again, the first time I picked up this lens, it just felt right. In the end, I enjoy shooting with it and it's output is excellent.

And more importantly, I've been satisfied with my purchase.

Good luck!

konanon's gear list:konanon's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 ED Limited DC WR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow