Advice on changing kit; get rid of the E-PM2?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
wazeggie
New MemberPosts: 19
Like?
Advice on changing kit; get rid of the E-PM2?
9 months ago

Hi all,

This topic is about getting you experts opinions on what change of gear will fit my needs best.

My current kit consists of the E-PM2 camera with two lenses (Pana 20mm 1.7 and the Oly 45mm 1.8). Before this kit I had an E-PM1 and a dSLR kit, the latter quickly got kicked out the door because mft fits my purposes.

The only thing I'm missing on a regular basis is a viewfinder. Mainly because of framing, I just can't see proper compositions through an LCD screen 30cm located from my eyes. So thats why I want a viewfinder. My options are the vf-2, vf-3 or vf-4. This is where it is getting more tricky for me. The external viewfinders add a LOT of bulk to the small E-PM2, and the best one (VF-4) is also rather expensive. The VF-2 isn't also a very viable option for me, because it doesn't come with a locking mechanism, and my camera is usually banging around so that could be a potential problem. So an option would be to look for a secondhand VF-3 for around 100EUR on the second hand market. The only downside is that I've already used an VF-2 once, and I wasn't very much satisfied with the quality in terms of lag and smearing, and from reviews I understand the VF-3 is only worse on that part.

So that being said the VF-4 fits most to my needs, except for price. But.... that huge lump of EVF though, truly ugly in my eyes. For that same money I could sell my E-PM2 for about 270EUR and buy a secondhand EM-5. While the evf quality of the EM-5 is less, it looks nice. On the other hand, that would be an expense of around 250EUR, while a VF-2 or VF03 could be bought for 100EUR!

Lastly I'm slowly starting to think about replacing the 20mm. It is a great and small lens, but sometimes just too damn slow. And when I think about that, I'm not a very avid user of the 45mm, only a 5% of my keepers were made with the 45mm. In that case I could simply sell the whole bunch, and buy a X100S. Beautiful sensor, nice viewfinder and in general just a nice camera, although I'm not sure if I would miss the 45mm! Also I would have to accept quite a big loss in my investments in the m4/3 system, which also just sucks.....

So... Let me hear what you guys think, some different perspectives would be very helpful in making my choice!

Fujifilm X100S Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow