a6000 faster than OMD E-M1, faster than most DSLR's (if not all). Good job SONY.

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
nevercat
Senior MemberPosts: 2,334
Like?
Re: ok... then try using a mirrorless...
In reply to GaryW, 7 months ago

GaryW wrote:

nevercat wrote:

KelvinHammond wrote:

for studio portraits. it sucks. There's no way around it either. The mirrorless system reacts just like a camcorder, which means the rear screen and evf are worthless in cave lighting. (torches, or modeling lights). What the mirror does, is let your eyes and brain see right through the glass, without electronics pre-interpreting that information. The only way they could fix it is with some sort of active rangefinder setup that had zoom or focal length auto-simulations.

Well I don't see what you mean here. I just tested with my Nex 5 (first generation Nex) and was able to manual focus on a subject by using the LCD the exposure time was 8 seconds by F4! How dark is it in your studio? When you are in manual mode then: I think you should try to read the manual of the camera as there is an option to switch off the mode that try to show what you will see when you shoot at the given apperture/shutterrtime/ISO. When there is no such option you can open the flash and you will see the immage without problem...

Do you mean "live view"? I think the Nex-5 always uses this -- you can't turn it off like you can with other Nex cameras. But, yeah, it should try to brighten the view in the dark, unless it's crazy dark. If you're doing a studio shot, you should probably add enough light to get a quality result.

Using your test, up to about 2" of exposure, I could still see well enough through the viewfinder/LCD to frame the shot, although it was grainy and lagged if I moved. I'm not saying it's ideal, but that kind of low light is not ideal shooting conditions anyway. At 5", the display was too dark and faint to see anything, while I could still see objects with my eyes.

But the bottom-line is, why wouldn't the live view give you a bright (if grainy) display in any reasonable light?

It is the what you see is what you get option. When you are in a studio you can set the camera up in M mode. You set it up in a way that when the studio flash flashes the exposure will be rightt. But the screen will show what you will get when the flash won't go, so a dark frame....

By the way, the A6000 is not a real professional camera and it will miss more features you use in a studio...

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow