Anybody here using base-ISO exclusively or predominantly?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
georgehudetz
Contributing MemberPosts: 800Gear list
Like?
Re: interesting question
In reply to dmaclau, 10 months ago

dmaclau wrote:

If i understand your question it asks if it's better to up the ISO 2X (or whatever) in camera or bump exposure 2X in processing. I'm thinking you might be the one that tells the rest of us. I would bet though that adjustments are better made in-camera.

Also, ETTR might be a popular topic in forums but I've yet to see any practical application for it in photography.

In my mind, I see advantages to ETTR when you have a high-dynamic range scene where you want details in both the highlights and the shadows.  While it's true that a full ETTR exposure will result in a too-bright scene as a whole, it also means you have more information in the shadows.  So, you tone down the highlights and the mid-tones, and then bump the shadows less than you would have otherwise, or perhaps not at all, resulting in better IQ in the shadows.

But I agree, if all you are going to do in post is simply drop exposure across the entire scene, then all ETTR has given you is at best a little more flexibility in post, and at worst an extra step you didn't need to do.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow