What do m4/3 users think about the Canon G1X II?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Impulses
Contributing MemberPosts: 853Gear list
Like?
Re: Re. Finally.... a fixed lens M4/3 camera.... and from Canon!
In reply to eques, 7 months ago

glanzrabe wrote:

I´m not so sure about this; if the lens is of good quality, there simply is no equivalent lens in the m43 line...

I really can´t understand why a lens in this range ( eq. 24-120 or 28-140 or 28-200 )

with 2,8-3,5 or 2,8-4 and with high build quality isn´t high on the priority list of Olympus or Panasonic...

bert

I totally agree.

What mFT needs is a small, high quality 2,8-4/12-60mm lens - it could be the size of the old 14-45.

Or just a mFT, fixed lens 2,0-4,0/12-60 and 16MP camera.

But I think, Olympus and Panasonic are afraid this would reduce lens and body sales. Just the way Canon cripple their G1X with a 13MP sensor.

Peter.

Yeah there's definitely room for higher quality MFT zooms that sit somewhere between the f2.8 zooms and the kit zooms... Panasonic did a great job shrinking the 14-45 II and 12-32 (which I actually ordered from Japan, Panasonic USA moves at a snail's pace)...

I think something that's faster (without being constant aperture) in the $500-700 range would probably sell really well, maybe better than the superzooms, and I'm curious just how small it could be. I wouldn't say the system *needs* such a lens, since few systems even have something like that, but it'd certainly make it much more attractive.

I'd still rather have a cheaper fast wide prime tho (cheaper than the 12mm anyway), that's the biggest draw on the G1X for me. The 24-120 range is convenient but I'm not tripping over myself to reach for that over a 20/1.7 or 45/1.8.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow