viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,153Gear list
Like?
Re: i will not buy this lens
In reply to stevo23, 5 months ago

stevo23 wrote:

Erik Magnuson wrote:

stevo23 wrote:

You will have to move to M43 to get any significant improvement in weight / bulk. I think it will be hard to do otherwise in full frame.

An MFT 70-200mm f/4 would be the roughly the same size weight. As would an MFT 35-100mm f/2 which would be equivalent in FOV and total light.

Panasonic's 35-100 2.8 weighs 13 oz. Not quite the same light, but close enough for a valid comparison. The Olympus is ridiculous. Most folks aren't looking for exact equivalents, just decent approximations. This is the only strength M43 has left in my estimation - smaller, lighter. It has to have some tradeoff for the lost in image quality.

In general, I'm in agreement that we're up against general physics and a super light, super small 70-200 is just not going to happen with current processes.

Exactly, if you just want f/2.8 and 70-200mm equivalent range, might as well buy a Pentax Q7 with 06 zoom 15-45mm f/2.8. I am being somewhat sarcastic here, if you want equivalent depth of field, entrance pupil size (for same light gathering ability) and you will pay for that with size and weight. There is no way around that.

Saying the Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 is close to the 70-200mm f/4 used on full frame is like saying the Nikon 70-200mm f/4 VR is close to the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR respectively (showing 1 stop difference, not saying these are equivalent). To some people this statement might be true, but to others they need that stop difference.

To me it is obvious that the 70-200mm f/4 for full frame would be larger than a 35-100mm f/2.8 for 4/3" sensor, which would obviously be larger than a 15-45mm f/2.8 for 1/1.7" sensor.  It is like saying an f/4 lens is larger than an f/5.6 lens, and people would understand that.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow