Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
joneil
Regular MemberPosts: 157
Like?
Having fun with the D800
8 months ago

First, here is a shot for you. D800, 24-70mm Nikkor zoom, three shots all around 1/2000th of a second. The day I shot this the outdoor temp was -13C plus windchill so it "felt" like -20C. -13C is roughly 9 degrees F.

Eldon House - London, Ontario, Canada

First off, i have jpeged this sucker down form the original file which is HUGE. I love the D800, but man oh man, you need a super computer some days for image processing.

Now I have shot all sorts of cameras, film and digital, including large format, and one thing I noticed about photos done over 100 years ago where the tripod was mounted, you would have a time exposure - maybe even just a couple of seconds - so the building would be sharp, but branches and plants blowing in the wind would be a bit fuzzy.

So what I did here was combine three images via HDR, convert to greyscale/sepia/vignette to replicate the look of an old photograph, but I took advantage of the fact that the tree branches - look closely - are not perfectly sharp, whereas the house itself is sharp, relatively speaking.

We are celebrating the bi-centennial of the War of 1812 here in Canada and eldon house - you can find full details : www.eldonhouse.ca - was built in 1834 by a veteran of the War of 1812, and in one of the oldest standing houses anywhere in Canada that is still in the same shape it was built in.

One more bit of fun for you all, another HDR image of eldon house:

Eldon House - London, Ontario, Canada

for the record, this is what happens when you mix a D800, the new Corel Paint Shop Pro, someĀ  way out there HDR settings, a very large glass of brandy and severe case of cabin fever brought on by a winter that never seems to end.

We have some very hot days here in SW Ontario come summer. 35C or 90F is not out of line, but massive amounts of humidity provided by the nearby Great Lakes. I plan to wait for the next heat wave this summer and post this image to our eldon house web site then.

Anyhow, not "serious" photography, but fun photography. Enjoy, and let me know what you think, what you like and don't like

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow